Easton-In-Gordano (St. George)
EASTON-IN-GORDANO (St. George), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Bristol; containing, with the hamlet of Crockerne-Pill, 2199 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1570 acres, whereof 300 consist of common lands; and is situated on the navigable river Avon, which divides Easton on the north-east from the county of Gloucester, and falls into the Bristol Channel to the north of it. Building-stone abounds. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Easton in the Cathedral of Wells, and valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 4½.: the great tithes have been commuted for £60, and the vicarial for £269. 12. 6. The church is a modern building, excepting the steeple, which is of ancient date. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and at the south-eastern extremity of the parish was a chapel, the site of which is still called Chapel Pill. Bishop Bull was for some time vicar of Easton.