Easton, Great (St. John)
EASTON, GREAT (St. John), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from Dunmow; containing 929 inhabitants. It is situated near the river Chelmer, and comprises by survey 2537 acres, of which about two-thirds are arable; the lands are in a high state of cultivation, and the surrounding country abounds with pleasing scenery. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Viscount Maynard: the tithes have been commuted for £740, and there are 84 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient edifice, containing some details of Norman architecture, especially in the south porch, which has a fine semicircular doorway. In 1759, Rebecca Mead bequeathed land now producing £38 per annum, for clothing and teaching girls; and in 1761, Charles, Lord Maynard, endowed a school.