Eastington (St. Michael)
EASTINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Lower division of the hundred of Whitestone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Stroud; containing, with the tything of Alkerton, 1871 inhabitants, of whom 763 are in the tything of Eastington. The parish comprises 2044 acres of good land, and the Stroudwater canal and the Gloucester and Bath road pass through it. There are several good houses inhabited by families of respectability, and shops abundantly supplied; and a market is held every Saturday at Mill-End. The woollen manufacture was established here at a very early period, and about 800 persons are now employed in the manufacture of superfine woollen-cloths and kerseymeres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 14. 9½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Peters: the tithes have been commuted for £525, and the glebe comprises 62 acres. The church is a venerable structure, with a tower, and within the few last years has been enlarged by the addition of a vestryroom, and entirely new-pewed and beautified. The parsonage-house, a very ancient building, was taken down in 1832, and an elegant house erected on a more elevated site. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and national schools endowed with the interest of £537. The Duke of Buckingham, who was beheaded in the reign of Henry VIII., had a large house in the parish, which during the civil war was garrisoned by the parliament.