Easter, Good (St. Andrew)
EASTER, GOOD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Chelmsford, hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Chelmsford; containing 504 inhabitants. This place, at the time of the Norman survey, belonged to Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, by whom it was given to the collegiate church of St. Martin-le-Grand, in London. The parish contains by measurement 2000 acres, nearly the whole of which is arable; the surface is pleasingly varied, in several parts forming gentle acclivities, and the soil is a lightish mould, on a subsoil of clay, alternated with chalk. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the vicarage of High Easter consolidated in 1771, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The great tithes, belonging to W. Rust, Esq., have been commuted for £369, and the vicarial for £120. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower of stone surmounted by a tall spire of wood; in the chancel are several arched recesses in the wall, which were probably cells or chapels. There is a strong chalybeate spring.