Easington-in-Cleveland (All Saints)
EASINGTON-in-Cleveland (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 10 miles (E. by N.) from Guisborough; containing, with the chapelry of Liverton, 791 inhabitants, of whom 588 are in the township of Easington. This parish, which includes the hamlets of Boulby and Scaling-Dam, is situated on the road from Guisborough to Whitby, and bounded on the north by the German Ocean; it comprises, exclusively of Liverton, 3609 acres, of which 399 are waste. Two-thirds of the land are arable, and onethird is pasture; the soil is various, but generally a strong clay, producing good wheat, and the scenery is strikingly beautiful: along the coast are stupendous cliffs, and finely-wooded dells run down to the sea. In the hamlet of Boulby are extensive alum-works on the verge of a precipitous cliff, where excavations of amazing magnitude have been formed in the prosecution of the works, which were originally established in 1615, and have been since continued with unabated perseverance. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Liverton annexed, valued in the king's books at £14. 8. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes of Easington have been commuted for £400, and those of Liverton for £200; the glebe of the former comprises 73 acres, and that of the latter 30. The church, which stands on an eminence, and was rebuilt in 1772, is a neat plain edifice with a tower.