Easby (St. Agatha)
EASBY (St. Agatha), a parish, in the union of Richmond, partly in the wapentake of Gilling-West, and partly in that of Gilling-East, N. riding of York; Swale, Easby, and Skeeby; and containing 771 inhabitants, of whom 105 are in the township of Easby, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Richmond. This place was the site of an abbey for Præmonstratensian canons, founded by Roaldus, constable of Richmond Castle, about 1152, and valued at the Dissolution at £111 per annum. Its ruins, which are extensive, and rich in architectural decoration, stand near the river Swale, surrounded by delightful scenery; many of the arches and columns of the finely pointed windows and doors are in good preservation. The parish comprises 5090 acres, tithe-free; the village is pleasantly situated on the Swale. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £2. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £92. The church, which is a plain but venerable structure, at a considerable distance from the village, existed prior to 1152. A chapel was erected at Brompton in 1841, on a site given from the glebe-land; it was endowed by the Ripon Diocesan Building Society. There is also a chapel at Skeeby.