EARTHAM, a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 5¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Chichester; containing, with part of the hamlet of Seabeach, 117 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1484 acres, of which 310 are waste; the surface is very uneven, rising in several parts into hills of considerable elevation, and the soil is chiefly a shallow mould resting on chalk. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 2½., and in the gift of the Prebendary of Eartham in the Cathedral of Chichester: the tithes have been commuted for £185, and the glebe comprises 19a. 33p. The church is in the early English style, and contains inscriptions in memory of Thomas, son of Hayley, the poet, and of the Right Hon. W. Huskisson. Hayley passed many years of his life at Eartham House, where he was frequently visited by Cowper.