Earsham (All Saints)
EARSHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Depwade, hundred of Earsham, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (S. W. by W.) from Bungay; containing 731 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Suffolk; and comprises by computation 3150 acres, whereof about 55 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture, in nearly equal portions. The surface is varied, and the surrounding scenery in several parts pleasing. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the gift of Sir W. W. Dalling, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £486, and the glebe comprises 46a. 3r. 4p. The church, situated within the lines of an ancient intrenchment, is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and contains some handsome monuments to the Wyndham family, by one of whom the windows were embellished with stained glass; the font, of Caen stone, is elaborately sculptured. Colonel Wyndham, in 1789, bequeathed a rent-charge of £20 to be distributed among the poor: the old poor's land, consisting of 19 acres, with a house, producing £35 per annum, is applied to the diminution of the poor rates.