EARNLEY, a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Manhood, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 6½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Chichester; containing, with part of Almodington, 139 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1120 acres, of which about four-fifths are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow land; the soil is generally a rich loam. The living is a rectory, with that of Almodington, and valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 0½.: the Bishop of Chichester presents for two turns, and the Duke of Norfolk for one. The tithes of Earnley have been commuted for £430, and the glebe consists of 8 acres. The church is in the early English style. A place of worship for Independents was opened in 1839.