Earl, or Yeard-Hill
EARL, or Yeard-Hill, a township, in the parish of Doddington, union, and E. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 1¼ mile (S. by W.) from Wooler; containing 80 inhabitants. It was the property, for a long period, of the Swinburnes; at length, two co-heiresses married two brothers of the name of Selby, and the estate was divided into North and South Earl. The township comprises 1150 acres, of which 670 are arable, 460 pasture, and 20 woodland; the surface is mountainous, and the soil light, with a whinstone substratum. The road from Wooler to Whittingham passes to the east of the village. In 1820 an urn containing bones and a flint knife was found on the summit of a hill at this place.