Eardisley (St. Mary Magdalene)
EARDISLEY (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Kington, hundred of Huntington, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Kington; containing 756 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the river Wye on the south, and intersected by the road from Hereford to Kington; and comprises 4557a. 2r. 1p., of which 1734 acres are arable, 141 woodland, and the remainder pasture and waste. The surface, which is undulated, and mountainous towards the south, is interspersed with rich plantations; and from a Roman encampment in the northern extremity, is obtained a beautiful view of the adjacent country. The Hay railway passes near the village. Fairs are held in May and September. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 6.; patron and impropriator, Thomas Perry, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £286. 17., and the vicarial for £537. 7.; the impropriate glebe comprises 80 acres, and the vicarial 2r. 4p. The church is partly of Norman architecture, and partly in the English style. There is a chapel of ease at Bollingham. Several helmets have been dug up; and there are slight remains of a castle, during many centuries the residence of the Baskervilles, a family of great note in the marches of Wales.