Eardisland (St. Mary)
EARDISLAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Weobley, hundred of Stratford, county of Hereford, 5 miles (W.) from Leominster; containing 856 inhabitants. The river Arrow flows from west to east through the parish, which consists of 4469 acres of a rich and productive soil, and is intersected by the road from Leominster to Weobley. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford, the appropriator, whose tithes have been commuted for £586, and those of the vicar for £339. 11.; there is a glebe of 2 acres. A gallery was erected in the church in 1839, containing 72 free sittings. In 1607, a portion of the tithe and glebe in the hamlet of Street was given for the maintenance of a school, which is now conducted on the national system. A house still exists called the Nun House, and part of the glebe land is denominated the Monk's Court; from which it is inferred that a place called Staick House was once a religious establishment. The Roman Watling-street is supposed to have passed through the parish, in the line of the road now leading to Street Court.