Ealing (St. Mary)
EALING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brentford, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 6½ miles (W.) from London; containing, with Old Brentford chapelry and Little Ealing hamlet, 8407 inhabitants, of whom 129 are in Little Ealing. This populous village, from its situation near the western parts of the metropolis, has become a favourite residence, and contains several handsome villas and pleasant seats: the Great Western railway passes through the parish, and about half a mile north of the church is a station on the line. A pleasurefair is held on the 24th of June, and two following days. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £1000, and the vicarial for £600; the impropriate glebe contains nearly 68 acres, and the vicarial 10¼. The church, erected in 1735, is a brick building with a tower and cupola; in 1824, 229 sittings were added, 163 of which are free. A lectureship was founded in 1629, and endowed with £40 per annum, by the Rev. John Bowman, chancellor of St. Paul's, who also left £20 per annum to the poor. A chapel was built at Old Brentford in 1770. There is a place of worship for Independents; also some endowed schools in union with the National Society. Among distinguished inhabitants may be enumerated, Dr. John Owen, a learned nonconformist divine, and a very voluminous writer, who died in 1683; Serjeant Maynard, an eminent lawyer, who died here in 1690, and was buried in the church; Sir Frederick Morton Eden, Bart., author of an elaborate History of the Labouring Class in England; and Robert Orme, author of Historical Fragments of the Mogul Empire, who died in 1801. John Horne Tooke, author of the Diversions of Purley, and Mrs. Trimmer, were interred in the churchyard.