DUXFORD, comprising the parishes of St. Peter and St. John, in the union of Linton, hundred of Whittlesford, county of Cambridge, 9 miles (S. by E.) from Cambridge; and containing 763 inhabitants. These parishes together include 3128a. 3r. 8p., a small portion of which is wood and meadow: the soil is generally light, with some parts of stronger quality; the district is mostly flat, and is watered by the river Cam, by which the meadows are occasionally inundated. The living of St. Peter's is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 8.; net income, £429; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. That of St. John's is a discharged vicarage, valued at £13. 3. 4.; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge: the great tithes have been commuted for £354, and the vicarial for £146; the impropriate glebe contains 9½ acres, and the vicarial 39 acres. The two churches are supposed to have been built about the end of the thirteenth century. A school, instituted under the will of the Rev. Richard King, and opened in 1649, is endowed with the rental of 20 acres of land. Near the river is an ancient building having the appearance of a chapel, now used as a barn; and close to it is a building occupied as a dwelling-house, and having similar marks of antiquity.