Duston (St. Mary)
DUSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Newbottle-Grove, union, and S. division of the county, of Northampton, 1¾ mile (W. by N.) from Northampton; containing 687 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south-east by the western branch of the Nene, and on the north-east by another branch of that river, comprises about 1721 acres: the soil is a light sandy loam. There are quarries of greyish brown stone, and brown ragstone, for building, and of whitish slate stone which splits into laminæ sufficiently thin for roofing; also of yellow ochreous freestone, blue ragstone, and fine grit. The village is pleasantly situated on the slope of a hill. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 8. 10.; net income, £159; patron and impropriator, Viscount Melbourne: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, with a large window of five lights at the west end of the nave. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Remains exist of St. James's Abbey, for Black canons, founded about 1112 by William Peverel, natural son of William the Conqueror, and the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, amounted to £175. 8. 2.