Durweston (St. Nicholas)
DURWESTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford division of Dorset, 3 miles (N. W.) from Blandford; containing, with the tything of Knighton, 468 inhabitants. It comprises 1900 acres, and is situated on the river Stour, over which is a bridge, to the east of the village; the surface is hilly, and the soil chalky. Knighton, formerly a distinct parish, has long been consolidated with Durweston. The living is a rectory, with that of Bryanston united, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 3., and in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £263, and the glebe comprises 111 acres.