Durston (St. John)
DURSTON (St. John), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Taunton; containing 267 inhabitants. It comprises 1022 acres, nearly equally divided between arable and pasture land. The living is a donative; net income, £20; patron and impropriator, the Rev. R. Gray, whose tithes have been commuted for £170. The church has been enlarged. At Minchin-Buckland, or Buckland-Sororum, in the parish, a priory of Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine was founded about 1167, which being suppressed, the house and estates were given to the Knights Hospitallers, for the establishment of a nunnery of their own order. Subsequently there were a priory of canonesses of St. Augustine, and a commandery of Knights Hospitallers, the former of which, at the Dissolution, had a revenue amounting to £223. 7. 4½.