Durnford (St. Andrew)
DURNFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Amesbury, though locally in the hundred of Underditch, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Amesbury; containing, with the hamlets of Little Durnford, Netton, Newtown, and Salterton, 533 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9; net income, £131; patron, the Prebendary of Durnford, in the Cathedral of Salisbury. Tithes were commuted for land and money payments, under an act of inclosure, in 1793; and a commutation has taken place of appropriate tithes for a rent-charge of £490, and of vicarial for one of £105: the glebe contains 30 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a very ancient structure. On the brow of a hill in the parish is an extensive earthwork called Ogbury Camp, supposed to have been a British settlement; it is intersected by a number of small banks in different directions.