Dunton-Basset (All Saints)
DUNTON-BASSET (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3¾ miles (N.) from Lutterworth; containing 553 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Lutterworth to Leicester, and comprises by computation 1300 acres: the stocking manufacture affords employment to nearly 200 persons. The Broughton-Astley station on the Midland railway, is distant about a mile and a quarter only. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 10.; net income, £73; patron, the Rev. John Longhurst. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1796. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains in some of the windows remains of stained glass: from its elevated situation on some of the highest land in the county, it was chosen as a post for telegraphic communication during the threatened invasion of Napoleon. There is a medicinal spring.