Dunton, with Doughton (St. Mary)
DUNTON, with Doughton (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Fakenham; containing 147 inhabitants. It is situated on the northern acclivities of the vale of the Wensum, and comprises 1721a. 1r. 24p., of which 1450 acres are arable, and 170 pasture. The manor was given by Henry VII. to Ralph de Hauville, to be held by service of keeping the king's falcons; it passed in the reign of Elizabeth to Lord Chief Justice Coke. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Leicester; the great tithes have been commuted for £350, and the vicarial for £177. The chancel of the church contains a fine brass representing Clere Talbot and his two wives; also a long inscription to Matthew Lancaster, "descended from John Lancaster, the first of that race in England, and first founder of Lancaster."