Dunston (St. Peter)
DUNSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the Second division of the wapentake of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 8¼ miles (S. E.) from Lincoln; containing 518 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the heart of a district which was anciently barren and unfrequented; and in 1751 Dunston pillar, a pyramidal shaft 92 feet high, crowned with a gallery and a lantern, was erected by F. Dashwood, Esq., as a landmark to guide the traveller over the then surrounding waste. There is a quarry of good buildingstone. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 0. 10.; net income, £151; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a neat edifice, in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The late Dr. Willis, who had an asylum here, left £100 to the poor.