Dunsforth, Upper, with Branton-Green
DUNSFORTH, UPPER, with Branton-Green, a township, in the parish of Aldborough, union of Great Ouseburn (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Aldborough; containing 163 inhabitants. The township comprises about 900 acres, including the hamlet of Branton-Green, on the south side of the vale of the Ure. A portion of land was assigned in lieu of tithes under an inclosure act in 1770. A tumulus, called the Devil's Cross, was levelled about half a century since.