Dunham (St. Oswald)
DUNHAM (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Tuxford; containing 335 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement 3277 acres, whereof 904 are in the township; and is situated on the river Trent, which frequently inundates the village, sometimes to the depth of ten feet, causing considerable damage to the buildings. The village stands on a gentle acclivity on the west bank of the river, across which was a broad and shallow ferry, now superseded by a handsome cast-iron bridge of four arches, each 118 feet in span, resting on stone piers, erected at an expense of £17,000, raised by subscription. The inhabitants had the privilege of a market, which is now disused; and a fair for cattle and merchandise, held on the 12th of August, has also been discontinued. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £252; patron, the Prebendary of Dunham in the collegiate church of Southwell; impropriators, Earl Manvers and others. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803. The church, with the exception of the tower, which is a good specimen of the later English style, was rebuilt in 1805. At Darlton and Ragnall, in the parish, are chapels of ease; and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans.