DUNCTON, a parish, in the union of Sutton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Rotherbridge, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Petworth; containing 308 inhabitants. The parish is pleasantly situated on the road from London to Chichester by way of Petworth, and at the foot of the Downs, from which the view is extensive and richly diversified. It once formed part of the parish of Petworth, but was separated from it by an act of the 4th and 5th of William and Mary. The area is 1326a. 26p., of which about 569 acres, including some orchard ground, are arable, 365 meadow and pasture, and 367 wood, hedge-rows, &c. The living is a rectory not in charge, in the gift of Colonel Wyndham: the tithes have been commuted for £160. Near the church are the remains of a hypocaust, discovered in 1815, and also of a Roman bath.