Dumbleton (St. Peter)
DUMBLETON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Evesham; containing 497 inhabitants. The parish is situated about a mile and a half from the road between Cheltenham and Evesham, and comprises 2155a. 8p.: a rivulet called the Isborn runs through it. Stone of a very hard kind is quarried for repairing the roads and for lime: large quantities of fossil shells are found in the quarries. Many of the females are employed in making gloves for the Worcester houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 16. 8.; net income, £354; patron, E. Holland, Esq. The glebe contains 72 acres, and a large glebehouse. The church is a very ancient edifice, with an embattled tower at the west end, and has several monuments to the family of Cocks, who for a long time held the estate. John Cocks, in 1728, gave an estate at Tainton, comprising upwards of 58 acres, and producing £70 per annum, part of which is applied in apprenticing a boy, £20 towards a school, and the rest to the poor.