Duddington (St. Mary)
DUDDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stamford, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Stamford; containing 413 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated on the east bank of the river Welland, which separates it from Rutland; and comprises by admeasurement 1371 acres, of which about 112 are wood land, and the rest arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The surface is hilly, and the wood, consisting chiefly of oak and ash, contributes greatly to the beauty of the scenery; the soil is partly clay, and partly a shallow rocky earth. The road from Stamford, through Kettering, to Northampton; and that from Wansford, through Uppingham, to Leicester; pass through the village. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Gretton: the vicarial tithes were commuted for 37 acres of land in 1774. The church is a very ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a school, endowed with £10 per annum.