Duddeston cum Nechells
DUDDESTON cum Nechells, a hamlet, in the parish of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick; adjoining the town of Birmingham, and containing 20,079 inhabitants in 1841, since when the number has considerably increased. This populous place, which is situated on the north-eastern side of the town, and included in the borough, comprises the suburb of Ashted, described under its own head. From its proximity to Birmingham, it participates largely in its trade and manufactures: there are three glass-houses, several flour-mills, pearl and button factories, and various other works, together with many wharfs on the line of the Birmingham canal. An act for improving the hamlet was passed in 1845. Duddeston Hall, formerly the residence of Mr. Galton, is now converted into a lunatic asylum of high respectability. A district church dedicated to St. Matthew was erected by the Birmingham Church Building Society, at a cost of about £3200, and consecrated on the 20th of October, 1840; it was endowed from the same source with £1000, which have been expended in the erection of a parsonage-house. The living is in the gift of Trustees. There are places of worship belonging to various denominations of dissenters; and good infants' and other schools, supported by subscription: the parochial schools of the district afford instruction to 1000 children.