Driffield (St. Mary)
DRIFFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Cirencester; containing 148 inhabitants. It is situated about midway between the road from Cirencester to London, and that from Cirencester to Cricklade; and comprises 1214 acres, of which 650 are arable, 500 pasture, and 60 woodland. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 3½.; net income, £270; patron, George Bengough, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a corn rent in 1799; the glebe contains 180 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was built about a century since by Lord Coleraine, several of whose family, including the well-known George Hanger, were buried here. A school was founded in 1825, by Arthur Vansittart, Esq., and the family of Cumberland, the former giving a messuage and garden, and the latter the sum of £300.