Drayton-Bassett (St. Peter)
DRAYTON-BASSETT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Tamworth; containing 404 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Tame, and comprises 3189a. 1r. 28p. of land, in about equal portions of arable and pasture. The Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes on the east, and the Birmingham and Derby railway has a station at Wilnecote, about two miles distant. A mill is worked for spinning cottonyarn, and making tapes and laces. The manor formerly belonged to the Weymouth family, but is now held by Sir Robert Peel, Bart., who is proprietor of two-thirds of the parish, the remaining third being the property of Sir Francis Lawley, Bart. A splendid mansion, in the Elizabethan style, has been erected by Sir Robert Peel, who had the honour of entertaining Her present Majesty, the Dowager Queen, Prince Albert, and the court, within its walls, from the 28th of November to the 1st of December 1843: a magnificent portrait gallery, attached to the south-east angle of the mansion, was completed in 1846. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £209. 12. 6., and the glebe consists of 25 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a modern edifice, with an ancient tower.