DRAYCOTT, a liberty, in the parish of Wilne, union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 6½ miles (E. S. E.) from Derby; containing 895 inhabitants. It comprises 1380a. 25p., whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, with a little woodland: the surface generally is level, but hilly towards the north; and the soil various, in some parts clay, and in others a light loam. In 1800 the late Mr. Towle established a cottonmill here; the present factory was erected in 1814, and enlarged in 1818. The Messrs. Towle have also works for the manufacture of lace; and a second cotton-mill, erected in 1831, The village, which is populous and well built, is contiguous to the river Derwent, and to the Derby canal, and Midland railway. The Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyans have places of worship; and a school is partly supported by subscription.