Doynton (Holy Trinity)
DOYNTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, though locally in the hundred of Pucklechurch, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 6¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Bath; containing 529 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded by the river Boyd, comprises 1700 acres by computation, whereof two-thirds are pasture, and the rest arable and wood; the soil is partly a stiffish clay, resting on white lias, and in some places a good gravelly soil. The village is situated in a plain of about one square mile, entirely surrounded by hills. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 11. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and there is a glebe-house. The body of the church is ancient, but the chancel was rebuilt about 1767. There is a place of worship for Independents. The Rev. William Langton, about 1668, gave money for the purchase of lands, now producing £30. 6. a year, for teaching and apprenticing children. On the summit of some lofty rocks between which runs the river Boyd, are intrenchments, supposed to be Roman.