Dowsby (St. Andrew)
DOWSBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Bourne; containing 232 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have been the scene of a sanguinary battle between the Saxons and the Danes in the year 869; and near the north boundary of the parish are eight tumuli, thought to have been raised over the bodies of the slain. The parish is situated on the road from Bourne to Boston, and bounded on the east by the South Forty-foot drain, which is navigable to the latter town. It comprises by measurement 1810 acres, whereof 1005 are upland and undulated, and well planted with ash and other timber, and 805 are fen, drained, inclosed, and planted; the soil is a dark loamy earth, resting on clay, and very fertile. Stone of good quality for the roads is quarried. There are some remains of an ancient decoy, which, in the winter of 1735-6, from October to April, produced 13,180 ducks, realizing to the proprietor £385. 18., at the rate of 7s. per dozen. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 2., and in the gift of the Rev. K. Foster: the tithes have been commuted for £279. 12., and the glebe comprises 18¼ acres, and a glebe-house. The church is an ancient massive structure, with an embattled tower in the early English style.