Downholme (St. Michael)
DOWNHOLME (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Richmond, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York; consisting of the townships of Downholme, Ellerton-Abbey, Stainton, and Walburn; and containing 248 inhabitants, of whom 121 are in the township of Downholme, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Richmond. The parish comprises by computation 6330 acres, of which about 1400 are in the township, extending northward to the Swale river. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 15. 10., and in the patronage of T. Hutton, Esq. (the impropriator), with a net income of £75. The church, which stands in the dale below the village, is an ancient edifice. There is a school endowed with £15 per annum by the Rev. E. Ellerton.