Down (St. Mary)
DOWN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Bow; containing 407 inhabitants. It comprises 1858 acres, of which 327 are common or waste: the soil is partly a stiff clay and partly of lighter quality, on a substratum of rock; the surface is very hilly, and the low lands are watered by the river Yeo. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 4.; net income, £233; patron, B. Radford, Esq. The church has a Norman doorway, and some curiously carved oak seats, and some ancient tiles in the same style.