Dorsington (St. Peter)
DORSINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stratford-on-Avon, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S.W.) from Stratford; containing 141 inhabitants. The manor was held at the Domesday survey by Roger de Belmont, from whom it descended to his eldest son, afterwards Earl of Warwick. The parish comprises about 1200 acres, chiefly arable: the soil is a stiff clay; the surface is generally level, and a spring of remarkably pure water, called Udwell, supplies the whole of the district. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 19. 2.; patrons, E. H. Fielden and Wm. Lawrance, Esqrs. The tithes were commuted for land in 1776; the glebe altogether comprises 230 acres, valued at £199 per annum. The church was burnt down in 1754 by an accidental fire, which also destroyed the greater part of the village; and was rebuilt of brick, with a small tower: the chancel has a painted window, presented by the Rev. R. Lawrance, the rector, who has also repaired the glebe-house.