Donhead (St. Andrew)
DONHEAD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Tisbury, hundred of Dunworth, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Shaftesbury; containing 900 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Don, from which it takes its name; and comprises 3540a. 3r. 13p., whereof about 1400 acres are arable, 1000 meadow, 300 woodland, and the remainder down and common. There are quarries of grey sandstone, of good quality for building, and from which was raised the stone for the erection of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. William Dansey. The tithes have been commuted for £725, of which the rector of Donhead St. Mary receives £33; the rector of this parish receives also £52 for land in the parish of St. Mary. The glebe comprises 167 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the decorated English style, has been partly rebuilt. There is a school in union with the National Society, endowed with £11 per annum by the Rev. William Bowles, a former rector. On the western side of the village, on the summit of Tittle-path hill, is an old earthwork called Castle Ring, inclosing an area of 15½ acres.