Dodington (St. Mary)
DODINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Chipping-Sodbury; containing 143 inhabitants, and consisting of 1450 acres. Stone of good quality for building and for the roads is quarried. The river Frome has its source in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 5½., and lately in the gift of Sir C. B. Codrington: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 26 acres. The church is a small edifice in the Grecian style, with a tower. Urns, bones, and Roman coins have been discovered in Dodington Field.