Dodford (St. Mary)
DODFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 1½ mile (W. by N.) from Weedon; containing 228 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the London and Birmingham road, and comprises by admeasurement 1350 acres of a highly productive soil; the village lies in a narrow and wellwatered valley. About 30 females are employed in making pillow-lace. The Grand Junction canal passes along the east side of the parish, and the London and Birmingham railway runs through it. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £233; patron and impropriator, T. R. Thornton, Esq.: the glebe contains 143 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the early English style, and has a circular carved font, of very ancient construction; among some interesting monuments of marble and brass, is one of a Knight Templar. A school was established here in 1804, and endowed in 1809 with £500 by Mr. Joseph Cooke.