Doddington, Great (St. Luke)
DODDINGTON, GREAT (St. Luke), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Wellingborough; containing 474 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Nene, and comprises 1515a. 3r. 16p., of a highly productive soil: there are quarries of stone, which is used for building and for the roads. The Blisworth and Peterborough railway traverses the meadows below the village. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £155, arising from 102 acres of land assigned in lieu of tithes in 1766: there is a small glebe-house, but in a ruinous state. The church is a spacious edifice, with a tower. There is a place of worship for Independents; and a national school has been erected. £5 per annum, arising from a piece of meadow-land, are appropriated to the poor.