DODDINGTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Wybunbury, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Nantwich; containing 41 inhabitants. In a mutilated tower which formed part of Doddington Castle, erected by Sir John Delves in 1364, are preserved statues of Lord Audley and his four squires, who fought under the Black Prince at Poitiers: near it stood the old Hall, which was made a parliamentary garrison in the civil war, taken for the king by Lord Byron in Jan. 1644, and retaken shortly after. The district comprises 549a. 12p., of a clayey soil. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the family of DelvesBroughton: the church is in the early English style, with a campanile turret. The tithes have been commuted for £55, of which £36 are paid to an impropriator.