Ditton, Long (St. Mary)
DITTON, LONG (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and Second division of the hundred, of Kingston, E. division of Surrey, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Kingston; containing, with the hamlet of Talworth, 827 inhabitants. The manors of Ditton and Talworth are noticed in the Domesday survey under the appellations of Ditone and Taleorde; and in the reign of John, some property here appears to have been given by Geoffrey de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, to the convent of St. Mary without Bishopsgate, London. The parish consists of 1865 acres, whereof 40 are common or waste; it is bounded on the north by the river Thames, and is intersected in its western part by the London and South-Western railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 0. 5., and in the gift of New College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £535. The church is a modern edifice of brick.