DITTON, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 8 miles (W. by S.) from Warrington; containing 513 inhabitants. The manor was held, in the reign of Edward III., by various families, of whom Thomas de Ditton performed suit and service to the county and wapentake for a fourth part. The Ditchfields resided, in 1567, at the Hall of that name. The township lies near the river Mersey, and comprises 1798 acres; there are fine views of the Cheshire hills. The places called Ditchfield Hall, Gutacre, and ThreeAshes, consisting altogether of 342 acres, belong to Thomas Shaw, Esq., of Everton, near Liverpool, in whose family they have been for upwards of a century; the other owners in the township are, William Blundell, Esq., of Crosby Hall, and Mr. Bretherton.