Ditchingham (St. Mary)
DITCHINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk; adjoining Bungay, and containing 1124 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Bungay to Norwich, and separated from the former place by the river Waveney, which bounds the district for a considerable way on the south; it is embellished by numerous elegant mansions, of which that named Ditchingham Hall is a splendid residence. Near Bungay is a Norwich-crape factory, employing about 650 hands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the alternate patronage of the Howard family, and St. John's College, Cambridge, with a net income of £482: the glebe comprises about 33 acres, with a commodious house. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the later English style, with a very fine lofty embattled tower; the windows of the chancel are filled with stained glass, and in various parts of the building are interesting relics, including the remains of an exquisitely carved screen, a painting of Our Saviour, and some well-executed figures. There are town lands which let for about £150 per annum, applicable to the repair of the church, bridges, &c.