Ditcheat (St. Mary Magdalene)
DITCHEAT (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Whitestone, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from CastleCary; containing, with the tythings of Alhampton and Lottisham, and the hamlet of Wraxhall, 1244 inhabitants, of whom 593 are in the tything of Ditcheat. It is bounded on the north-west by the old Roman fosseway, and comprises 4407 acres of profitable land, of which 800 are arable; there are also 104 acres of common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £46. 5., and in the gift of the Rev. W. Leir: the tithes have been commuted for £775, and the glebe comprises 103 acres, with a glebe-house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.