Ditchburn, East and West
DITCHBURN, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland; containing 60 inhabitants; the former village 8½ miles (N. N. W.) and the latter 8 (N. W. by N.) from Alnwick. The township comprises 1520 acres, of which 47 are common or waste; the soil is of a light quality, and coal and stone are obtained. East Ditchburn is situated to the west of the road between Belford and Alnwick, in the western part of the parish, and near the Eglingham burn, which afterwards falls into the river Aln; West Ditchburn is close to the western boundary of the parish, which also divides the ward of Bambrough from that of Coquetdale. There was formerly a fortified tower in the township, with a place of safety for cattle in times of intestine wars. The estate belonged to Admiral Lord Collingwood. The tithes have been commuted for £85 payable to the impropriator, and £10. 12. to the vicar. A strong petrifying water here, acts as a diarrhtic.