DISTINGTON, a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Whitehaven; containing 1108 inhabitants. It stretches almost to the Irish Sea, and contains coal-pits, and quarries of excellent limestone, much of which is burnt into lime; millstones and grindstones are also obtained, and there are manufactories for linen-thread, hats, and edge-tools. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 0½.; net income, £301; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The tithes were commuted for an allotment of land in 1767.