Dinton (St. Mary)
DINTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Warminster, though locally in the hundred of Dunworth, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 9 miles (W.) from Salisbury; containing 565 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 4087 acres, of which about 1754 are arable, 1693 pasture and down, and 589 woodland. The living is a vicarage, with that of Teffont Magna annexed, valued in the king's books at £6; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The great tithes have been commuted for £390, and the vicarial for £359. 10.; a rent-charge of £80. 10. is paid to the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who also have a glebe of two acres, and the vicarial glebe contains 49 acres. The church has a beautifully decorated chancel and a good Norman font. There is a place of worship for dissenters. The celebrated lawyer, statesman, and historian, Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was born here in the year 1608.