Dilwyn (St. Mary)
DILWYN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Weobley, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Weobley; comprising the townships of Church-Dilwyn, Fawley, Haven-with-the-Headland, Luntley, Newton with Hurst, and Sollars-Dilwyn; and containing 1060 inhabitants, of whom 373 are in Church-Dilwyn. Here is thought to have been a monastic establishment, to which were annexed certain lands, called College lands, previously belonging to the priory of Wormsley. The parish comprises by admeasurement 6067 acres, of which 128 are wood, and the rest nearly equally divided between arable and pasture; the surface is diversified with hills, but of no great elevation; the soil is partly clay and partly gravel. The low grounds are watered by two or three small brooks that rise in the parish, which is intersected by the road from Leominster to Weobley. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 6.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Hereford. The great tithes have been commuted for £696, and the vicarial for £440; the glebe comprises 41 acres. There was a chapel formerly at Little Dilwyn. A school is endowed with a house and garden, given by Lacon Lambe, Esq., and with nine acres of land by Thomas Phillips, Esq.