Dilham (St. Nicholas)
DILHAM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the incorporation of Tunstead and Happing, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. E.) from North Walsham; containing 488 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1563a. 9p., of which 1100 acres are arable, 365 meadow and pasture, 50 wood and plantation, and 25 water; a plantation of oaks, with a few other trees, covering about 25 acres, is completely surrounded by water. On the east side of the parish is Dilham Staith, upon the river Ant, where malting and lime-burning are carried on to a considerable extent: on the north is Dilham Mill, with a large pool or dam of 15 acres, connected with the Dilham and North Walsham canal, which is a cut from the river. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Honing united, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 11.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Ely, under whom the Master and Fellows of Caius College, Cambridge, are lessees. The great tithes have been commuted for £315, and the vicarial for £163; and the glebe contains two acres. The body of the church, which is of brick, was rebuilt in 1755; in 1840 it was repewed, when 125 additional sittings were obtained.