Digswell (St. John the Evangelist)
DIGSWELL (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Welwyn, hundred of Broadwater, county of Hertford, 1¼ mile (S. E. by S.) from Welwyn; containing 187 inhabitants. It comprises 1623a. 3r. 10p., of which about 1000 acres are arable, 282 pasture, and 301 wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 2.; net income, £393; patron, the Rev. G. E. Prescott. The church has a chapel on the north side, and a square embattled tower at the west end; it contains many ancient effigies in brass, with various other sepulchral emblems.